Saturday, November 21, 2009

Time Management and Lesson Design

The first and probably the best thing I found on time managment for teachers comes from Silver Clipboard. When you're in class, the last thing you want to worry about is whether or not you're prepared. Besides, your students notice that and will probably pick up your poor example--even though you don't intend it. I like to be organized. Teaching language leaves lots of room for creativity, but I need structure to keep me from wandering wherever my mind leads me. I write down what I think is important to remember about my students and their work. These suggestions can be used in almost any teaching context, but for my context, it's especially relevant because sometimes the class needs to relocate to another room on short notice. Having a go-to file makes it easier for me to adapt to new surroundings and visualize the execution of my instructional objectives.

Though this page on Education Oasis is aimed at K-12 teachers, the logic of these suggestions is great for all instructors. The most useful ideas from  Wagner's "Time Saving Tips for Teachers" for my context are 1) provide a supply station so students can get paper or pens when they've forgotten theirs, 2) creating a classroom calendar (-- it can be electronic!), and 3)take advantage of gradebook software. I have Easy Grade Pro.
Here's a site on classroom management. Because the learners are teenagers, there are bound to be problems at times with discipline. This is important for my context because learners need to be able to gather information from the lessons without distractions from other classmates. In Discipline by Design, I generally agree with all eleven suggestions. I want my students to have freedom to express themselves but not at the expense of their classmates. Students should be able to express themselves, but they also need to develop the social skills that will facilitate success outside the classoom.

I thnk this presentation on general lesson planning is very helpful. I've never had a formal pedagogy class, so when it comes to lesson planning, I am not always sure what goes where. The General Lesson Plan and the STEP Lesson Plan helps teachers to fill in the blank on a lesson planning template. In about the fifth minute, the presenter discusses the cultural connections teachers need to make in  the classroom. For my context, I want to celebrate students' culture while sharing Western culture with them. This kind of awareness can help build a comfortable atmosphere in the classroom.

I often ask students to be creative--not just with their grammar. I think art and color bring life to a classroom especially if the students have to wear uniforms. Giving students room to integrate their artistic and cognitive skills can have positive results. Oriental Trading Company sells teaching and craft supplies. When students make presentations in class, they are welcome to bring their own supplies, but things move quickly if the teacher has already prepared something. You can also find balls, timers, and visual aids to add variety to lessons. Such outlets stores exist elsewhere, but incorporating these types of aids helps a teacher accommodate kineshetic, visual, and aural learners.

4 comments:

  1. Mieca,

    Thanks for sharing all these sites that help with classroom management. I especially found the "Discipline by Design" site helpful, for discipline can be difficult especially when dealing with teens. I also liked the "Time Saving Tips for Teachers". We get so busy, it's nice to know their are little things we can do to prevent us from feeling overwhelmed when there's a lot to do and so little time. Also thanks for sharing the Oriental Trading Company, I think it's great that you try to cater to your student's individuality by introducing art and color and by appealing to their individual learning styles. I could see those teens having a lot of fun in your class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mieca,
    Thanks for all your great recommendations. I cited you in my blog yesterday with a request that you would post the title of the book that the Clue activity came out of. I'd really like to look it!

    Have a great day of thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Book. Advanced Communication Games by Jill Hadfield. There's also an intermediate and beginner version. Indispensable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oho good dear !!!! very interesting blog and a good posting !!! you must maintain your blog, its interesting !!! Nice Buddy
    ________________________________

    Research Papers To Buy

    ReplyDelete