Saturday, October 17, 2009

Authentic Listening

Here's a link to one of my favorite sites. I've used this resource for one-on-one sessions as well as classes. Some of the topics are perfect for high school students. The stories are current, so if they want to follow along on MTV, it's fine. There are plenty of news sources, but this one has high school students in mind.

http://www.breakingnewsenglish.com/

Each story has handouts and usually an MP3 for listening. Some even include some kind of supplemental activity. It's a good idea to review the handouts carefully and adapt them for your class.

5 comments:

  1. I really liked this site. Thanks for the tip. I also really like the layout to your blog. It is a real inspiration. I am going to need to start putting pictures up to keep up with you. Thanks! Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mieca,
    Please fix the link to this site. I think you wrote http twice in the embedded link. This is a fantastic site. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mieca-
    I really dig your blog! I also like this site and I used it a couple of times with my students in Korea. I also put it on my blog--I hope you don't mind me being a copy-cat ;). You probably have more experience with this site than I have, I'd be interested to hear how you used it in your context and what worked. See you in class!-Crystal-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I worked out the kinks. Hey, the more the merrier. I didn't contribute to the materials on that site, but who knows? Maybe one day we'll be making our own site.

    ReplyDelete